It's been an emotional 2 weeks. I'm tired. My parents had their "farewell" in Idaho 2 weeks ago and I flew home for it... all by myself. The weekend was unbelievable and defined the reason you grow up in a small town. I saw friends and family and felt complete love from our amazing little Idaho community. I was overwhelmed. Growing up in a small town is almost like growing up in a strange sub-culture and if you never leave it, you never fully understand it's charm. I've been away 20 years and I go back and feel like a teenager. Lives are intertwined and generations weave together. I know that if I really needed a "mom" to come to my rescue in the next two years - at least 5 of my moms friends and my aunts we be here. Elder Brad Foster now of the seventy even surprised them both and spoke at their farewell. He had the best line. "I couldn't resist a chance to get the last word on Debbie." You have to know my mom but those of us who do are still laughing at it. It was love love love and nothing but love. The president of the new temple in the Philippines where they will be serving was also there and my sisters and brother and I met him. I told him I didn't really like him and that my dad was gay. It didn't work. He told me I'd have to do better than that. I was impressed. I also had a 4 hour layover in SLC. What's a kidless girl to do with nothing but time. It's called take a cab to Gateway Mall and make the most of the great exchange rate. I came back to Calgary on a Monday night, did laundry and the 5 of us started the drive to Idaho on Thursday. We stayed in Great Falls Thursday night and drove the rest of the way on Friday. Connor, your dad and I would like to formally apologize to you for forgetting the battery to your DVD player. You should probably get some award for not watching TV at all during a 12 hour car ride. Here are some pics of the farewell trip to say good-bye to Grandpa and Grandma.
I think my mom and CC have the same cheeks. I'm confident CC will look older in 2 years and am positive my mom won't.

My dad. Don't get me started. I do pinch him on the butt every time I hug him good-bye. He even admitted he'll miss me annoying him.

Speaking of annoying. Don't ever take an almost 3 year-old out to dinner at bedtime. Nightmare.

Sleeping update. He's still a pain. Still get's locked in his room and falls asleep in random place on the floor... this time his teady bear was along for the ride.
6 comments:
Dang it! I wish I would have heard about it. I would have loved to come up to their farewell too. I bet it was amazing. Rigby is sure is charming huh, I just love it there. It won't be the same w/out your parents though, huh? I hope time flies by for you.
You are a clever one. Maybe Ange could talk them out of going. And when I say talk, I mean scare them out of it.
it's so true about the small town community. It's kind of like that for me in Menan and I never even lived there!
So, when are you flying to the Phillipines?
I loved hearing your mom and dad talk and seeing all the support and love from our little town. We never would've thought, at age 16, that we would learn to love this place so much.
I loved walking with you, even though the SNOW sort of put a damper on everything.
You're the best. XOXO
I hear you on the small town thing- it really is part of you forever. Everybody there is part of an extended family on a grand scale. Glad you got some distraction at Gateway- Amy and I are going there on Saturday. Anything we need to make a point of getting to?
What a sweet post to read. (You aren't usually the sentimental girl, Erika!) Can't wait to hear the updates!
Post a Comment