Friday, May 20, 2011

Come on Baby Light My Fire.

I smell fire. Really. Sitting steps away from my almost 4 year-old, who's quietly hunched over doing something on the kitchen floor, I decide this needs immediate attention. I caught Connor striking matches, watching them burn and the rubbing them on the tile floor just moments before the flames crept up to burn his fingers. About 12 matches were lit before I put a damper on the dangerous fun. We had a good talk about not lighting matches and getting burned. I knew he understood what I was saying and he clearly knew what he was doing was wrong. He looked guilty.

I hid the matches and moved on. A few days later, I notice the same smell. This time I run to the scene and catch him lighting a paper towel with the butane BBQ lighter. Seriously, the hand eye coordination it takes to get that contraption to light should not be so easy for a 4 year-old to master in moments. It's not a design flaw. It's a Connor flaw. We had the same discussion, this time with a stint in time out and then really hid the butane lighter as well as the steel wool, flint, mirrors and aerosal cans.

This kid is complete trouble. And this incident, a string of many messes to come my way this month. Bet you can't wait to hear what else he did..... oh and did I mention he cut my hair.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

lol do you ever watch your kids? dont you have a nannie too? kidding.

Kent/Sue Adams said...

Erica, reading about your son makes me dread eli getting any older! He is already trouble and just turned 3! Good luck!

Adrianne said...

Gabe hasn't turned to fire yet, but he did tell me this weekend that I don't need to take care of him, that he can take care of himself. oh my. I'll be in Menan for 4th of July, will you be around?? I'd sooo love to see you and get our two crazy boys together!