Wednesday, September 12, 2007

I've been tagged...


My friend Tiffany tagged me... the request - tell us about your marriage. (this is something under no circumstances would my husband ever do... so I'm glad for the chance to at least self analyze with my friends.

1. How did you meet your husband? At BYU (original I know) My last semester - I had a roommate in law school with him... named Laurie Davis. Jessica Sherrill (also roommate) and I had a plan to snag a lawyer. We talked Lori into choosing the smartest, best looking law students and we would make dinner for them. Clam Chowder was the decided meal... I was no help in this.. Jess and Laurie did it all while I stood there saying I don't cook. (not the case anymore) Darren was on of the "chosen" guys and lucky for me he showed up. Darren now refers to this meeting as "The Viewing" becasue he says it was soooo obvious what we were doing. The girl to guy ration was a little off. So when the crowed died off... all that were left was Darren, Steve, Jessica, Erika and another guy named Steve. Jessica and I were both on full cuteness mode that night - we were charming - flirty enough - jeans tight - but not too tight.. you know, played it cool. After the door closed - Jessica, Laurie and I went into full analyzing mode. Jessica mentioned something about Darren and I was like... oh no, we can't both like the same one. So, (Jessica, this is probably news to you) later that night, I cornered Laurie and said, I was the one who needed to go out with Darren - so put in an extra good word for me. Laurie may have directed him my way (she was nice and never actually told me he may have been more into Jessica b/c seriously, even I would have been more into Jessica - she's a good time) Anyway, Darren asked me out a few days later - our first date was on Halloween. We went to Applebee's and q-ball or q-room... that place on State Street in Orem where you could play air hockey and stuff. (I'm pretty sure we haven't played air hockey since that night) We held hands while walking out of q-ball.... (after some major flirting on my part) The night ended with a perfect little kiss at the front door.

2. First thing I said: Umm actually the first time I met Darren he came to pick up my roommate Laurie to go to a Rodeo in SLC. I made so much fun of her for going to a rodeo. I opened the door and said - oh, come in, I'll get Laurie for you. After that, I probably made fun of his cowboy boots to Jessica.

3. When was your first kiss - see first date.

4. Length of courtship/engagement? 10 months... met and married. I knew I had a good thing going and I didn't want him to have time to change his mind.

5. Where did you get engaged? Murry City Park. I've always thought that was random. We'd never been there and haven't been back. Plus, I knew it was coming (no matter what Darren says) but after I had the ring - we went to like 4 peoples houses to show them and no one was home.

6. What was your reception like? A blur and I'm still bitter about it. We stood in line for over 3 hours greeting 800 guests and then bolted as soon as we could. Our legs totally ached. I loved my dress and everything but looking back, I seriously felt ridiculious the entire time - I was nervous at the ceremony - just felt out of place all day. I've often said to Darren, when Cala and Chelsea get married - I'll enjoy it more - have the wedding I wanted. Quiet and calm. ps: the music was great - my super talented bff Tiffany Stoker Madsen did background music. I would have just rather listened to that all night, looked at my dress while eating the wedding cake. Oh ya, Darren can sit by me and share the cake.

7. Where did you get married? The Idaho Falls temple. It was the worst flood in 200 years and so there were sandbags all along the river.

8. Honeymoon - this made up for it all. We went to Hawaii for 12 days - hit the beach - slept in- drove around - relaxed. I also got a massive sunburn and wanted to check myself into the hospital. I'll probably get skin cancer one day because of it. I had blisters and was purple. I shed dead skin for one year - no kidding. We took the kids back to Hawaii 2 years ago... it wasn't quite the same trip.

So there you go Tiff! Thanks for the tag. Darren and I basically have nothing in common. He likes to do things I have absolutly no desire to even try. But, I'm a good sport and take an intrest in things he finds important. I've even learned how to tolerate the horses and will talk to them when I go outside. Darren likes a lot of the same things I like - he's more well rounded and not as shallow. My likes all involve selfish things and he's a good sport. He even knows the ins and outs of whatever handbag/fashion find I'm drooling over at the moment and puts up with the money I wast on People magazine. Although, just to make him sound normal... I just got a new chruch calling. Ward music chairman - and I have to lead the music for sacrament meeting... I've been practicing b/c I never learned how to lead... he just made fun of me the entire time... said I looked like a robot. Thanks honey. Jokes on you - one Sunday I'm just going to sit on the stand the entire time while you fight it out with the kids.

5 comments:

Kendra said...

I'm glad you wrote about this - since I was mia during the entire thing. You are so funny. I love how you describe everything. You're the best.

Oh - and I love that you lead the singing. That is one thing I know how to do. They asked me to be the RS pianist. Hello. We need to trade places. I have been taking lessons and am doing much better, but really. Let's get someone who can play more than 3 hymns.

Glad you and Darren found each other.

Jessica said...

Oh, I'm sure he only had eyes for you! Funny to be reminded of our guy-chasing days.

Torrie said...

I'm laughing the whole way through reading this. You crack me up how honest you are, I enjoyed reading this.

Cunning said...

Tell Darren I like his socks int he pic....must be an era thing??

Adrianne said...

All of my comments:
1. I love this b/c I hadn't heard all the story, just bits and pieces.
2. I'm so glad you are teaching yoru girls the importance of fashion at an early age. I tried to explain to Mario the difference between "walking" shoes and regular, stylish shoes and he looked at me like I was an alien.
3. Your girls are adorable on the piano. Keep it up, I still regret that I dropped out. (not that you'd let them!)