Friday, November 16, 2007

Punishment

I am being punished. I decided to start Christmas decorating since I don't have American Thanksgiving as a starting point for Christmas - why not enjoy the decorations a little longer. I have never broken this cardinal rule of sacred American worship and decided I could live with the guilt. I have spent the last 2 days buing Wal-Mart (a store I hate) out of replacement light bulbs. We had some sort of random power surge that toasted every single light on my pre-lit tree. So far, I have replaced 250 individual light bulbs - covering only the bottom portion of a 3 tier tree. Even all those aren't working but, I could live with that. Replacing the bulbs is a detailed process. First, you have to remove the bulb with the base from the tree, then you have to remove the bulb from the base, next you have to thread the new bulb through the base - and finally, put it back on the tree. When Darren came home last night at 9 pm he started helping me. That lasted 5 minutes and he was immediatly on the computer shopping for another tree. I have now devleoped a sick addiction to this process and am not willing to give up on my tree. I'm hoping to return to Wal-Mart where they have hopefully restocked the replacement bulbs. (I bought them out) and spend a few more days replacing the bulbs. I think I can get it to work. Next year, I might not be so anxious to get my Christmas tree up.

5 comments:

Torrie said...

I"m laughing....good thing you started early huh? I was tempted this week to do the same thing, but my husband will not hear of any extra days of Christmas decorations....bah humbug!

Laurie said...

Do they have Costco in Canada? I'm all about the new tree. I can't believe your starting already--I'm still finding artifacts from the fourth and Halloween that need to go into their permanent storage containers. Good luck!

Kendra said...

You are a patient woman. That thing would be in the garbage already at my house! I put our Christmas stuff up early last year, but I was sooooo sick of it by the time Christmas got here that I decided to wait this year. I'm proud of you for being so ambitious.

Adrianne said...

dear OCD, let Darren buy a new tree!!! do you miss Thanksgiving?? Iwould do it here, but t's just too hot to hink about cooking all that food...

Janell said...

If I get any Christmas paraphanalia out before December 1st, Ben will leave me. We, of all people, are having Thanksgiving dinner tommorow. Our friends at the realtor's office are American, and she's cooking two turkeys. Ben offered to bring pumpkin and banana cream pies. We've got the pumpkin covered, as they make them at Cafe Delicious around the corner. Banana cream is proving to be a problem, as we have been unable to find banana pie filling/cooked pudding anywhere. Dunno what his plan B is...