Bedtime... sound peaceful and simple... right. And it can be both of those, depending on the night. However, here's the drill of tonights routine. Cala: started at 6 pm asking, "Can I stay up later than Chelsea?" Chelsea, "Can I watch TV, because I didn't watch any today and I really want to watch Ariel.... there's this part, um where the seagull is... " Mom cuts Chelsea off b/c this could seriously go on all night. She loves to talk. Connor, enjoying a bottle on my bed. He's laying on a pillow and has his bottle propped up with another one it's okay b/c it's just multi tasking.... 2 things at once. Bedtime approaches, I promise Chelsea a foot tickle while I finish feeding Connor... she agrees and we head into her room and which point she starts asking me what were're going to do tomorrow. (this should have been a red flag... it will just keep CC talking and not sleeping) I tell her that it's going to rain and get really cold.. she inturupts telling me that for Family Home Weaving she wants to have a pajama party, pop popcorn and watch Aurthor and the Invisibles. Mom: "Yes Chelsea, that's a good idea, maybe on the weekend." Chelsea: "No tonight, for Family Home Weaving." Mom, gets her back on track - we're going to bed. Now, I threaten, if you're not quiet then no foot tickle. She stops talking long enough for me to get my hand on her foot. Then she starts to laugh because it is a foot tickle after all. I know decide I'm hindering and not helping the process and remove myself from the room which starts the screaming crying fit - which I close the door and ignore with these wise words. "Chelsea, you're being mean and you're not a mean girl so I know you're tired." More crying but she stays in bed for the moment. Then, I decide Connor will just have to go in his crib while I deal with his sisters. Chelsea comes out of her room with more questions about what we're doing tomorrow, demands a snack, demans and drink and I put her back to bed - do the chin grab (this is where I grab a chin and get right in the offenders face - explain to them what the problem is and then make them repeat back what I just said - promissing not to do it again) Now, I threaten to take her stuffy away. In the background Connor starts crying, I decide he'll have to take a backseat and he's okay to cry for 20 minutes while I play a promised game of phase ten whith Cala. Cala and I get through the first phase - Chelsea joins us - Chelsea get's put back in bed - crying. Connor - still crying - but the 20 minute time has not gone off. I've also warned Cala that when the timer goes off - it's her bedtime. She again asks if she can stay up a bit later - and then has a look on her face of sheer surprise when I say no. Hello - she's the one who told me she fell asleep in school - a later bedtime- I don't think so. We finish 2 more phases, Connor still crying. Chelsea calm and now sleeping. Cala and I go get her clothes ready for tomorrow and while in process - Connor stops crying and falls asleep. Cala asks again if she can stay up just a few more minutes. (It's now 7:37 and 7 minutes past betime) Sorry, still the same answer. Cala goes into her room (the girls share) and I start folding laundry. 5 minutes later Cala comes out and says she can't go to sleep. Ummm, you're eyes are bloodshot - just lay there - I don't care if you don't fall asleep right away but trust me, you will. 9 pm - Chelsea wakes up screaming, demanding food, water and world peace. She gets a drink, pat on the back and plopped back on her pillow. Cala, now realizing the unjusitce too demands a drink. Dad gives her one - and now everyone is quiet. So tonight, Connor get's the best bedtime award. It might have something to do with the fact that he can't physically get out of bed. Maybe I'll put the other two back in a crib. Don't let the photo trick you - they look like angles - but they'll give you a run for your money!
Tuesday, September 11, 2007
Bedtime
Bedtime... sound peaceful and simple... right. And it can be both of those, depending on the night. However, here's the drill of tonights routine. Cala: started at 6 pm asking, "Can I stay up later than Chelsea?" Chelsea, "Can I watch TV, because I didn't watch any today and I really want to watch Ariel.... there's this part, um where the seagull is... " Mom cuts Chelsea off b/c this could seriously go on all night. She loves to talk. Connor, enjoying a bottle on my bed. He's laying on a pillow and has his bottle propped up with another one it's okay b/c it's just multi tasking.... 2 things at once. Bedtime approaches, I promise Chelsea a foot tickle while I finish feeding Connor... she agrees and we head into her room and which point she starts asking me what were're going to do tomorrow. (this should have been a red flag... it will just keep CC talking and not sleeping) I tell her that it's going to rain and get really cold.. she inturupts telling me that for Family Home Weaving she wants to have a pajama party, pop popcorn and watch Aurthor and the Invisibles. Mom: "Yes Chelsea, that's a good idea, maybe on the weekend." Chelsea: "No tonight, for Family Home Weaving." Mom, gets her back on track - we're going to bed. Now, I threaten, if you're not quiet then no foot tickle. She stops talking long enough for me to get my hand on her foot. Then she starts to laugh because it is a foot tickle after all. I know decide I'm hindering and not helping the process and remove myself from the room which starts the screaming crying fit - which I close the door and ignore with these wise words. "Chelsea, you're being mean and you're not a mean girl so I know you're tired." More crying but she stays in bed for the moment. Then, I decide Connor will just have to go in his crib while I deal with his sisters. Chelsea comes out of her room with more questions about what we're doing tomorrow, demands a snack, demans and drink and I put her back to bed - do the chin grab (this is where I grab a chin and get right in the offenders face - explain to them what the problem is and then make them repeat back what I just said - promissing not to do it again) Now, I threaten to take her stuffy away. In the background Connor starts crying, I decide he'll have to take a backseat and he's okay to cry for 20 minutes while I play a promised game of phase ten whith Cala. Cala and I get through the first phase - Chelsea joins us - Chelsea get's put back in bed - crying. Connor - still crying - but the 20 minute time has not gone off. I've also warned Cala that when the timer goes off - it's her bedtime. She again asks if she can stay up a bit later - and then has a look on her face of sheer surprise when I say no. Hello - she's the one who told me she fell asleep in school - a later bedtime- I don't think so. We finish 2 more phases, Connor still crying. Chelsea calm and now sleeping. Cala and I go get her clothes ready for tomorrow and while in process - Connor stops crying and falls asleep. Cala asks again if she can stay up just a few more minutes. (It's now 7:37 and 7 minutes past betime) Sorry, still the same answer. Cala goes into her room (the girls share) and I start folding laundry. 5 minutes later Cala comes out and says she can't go to sleep. Ummm, you're eyes are bloodshot - just lay there - I don't care if you don't fall asleep right away but trust me, you will. 9 pm - Chelsea wakes up screaming, demanding food, water and world peace. She gets a drink, pat on the back and plopped back on her pillow. Cala, now realizing the unjusitce too demands a drink. Dad gives her one - and now everyone is quiet. So tonight, Connor get's the best bedtime award. It might have something to do with the fact that he can't physically get out of bed. Maybe I'll put the other two back in a crib. Don't let the photo trick you - they look like angles - but they'll give you a run for your money!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Those two on the outside...they look a little mischevious. But that one in the middle--he's doesn't look so bright. =)
"Chelsea wakes up screaming, demanding food, water and world peace."
That's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time!!
Laura
Post a Comment